Is it Worth Calling Police Over a Fender Bender?

Woman slumped over the wheel after a minor car accident

If you were in a car accident in New York, you might be wondering if you need to call the police. The answer depends on the circumstances of your crash. Below, the experienced personal injury attorney at Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. discusses when you must notify law enforcement and other steps you consider after a fender bender. In some cases, you could face harsh penalties if you do not notify law enforcement about the accident.

Non-Injury Accidents

If you were involved in a non-injury accident, you are not legally required to call the police. However, it is generally a good idea to do so. The police can help document the accident and create an official report. This report can be helpful if you need to file an insurance claim or take legal action against the other driver.

Injury Accidents

If you were involved in an accident that resulted in injuries, you must notify the police. New York law requires drivers to call the police for drivers involved in accidents that end up with someone injured, someone's property damaged, or someone passing away. Failing to do so can result in a driver facing a fine of up to $500 and other consequences.

What to Do After an Accident

In addition to calling the police, there are other steps you should take after an accident. You should exchange information with the other driver, including your name, address, phone number, and insurance company information. Getting the witness's information is critical if anyone witnesses the accident. If you have a camera on your phone or in your car, you should take photos of the accident scene. These photos can help document the damage and prove your case.

How Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. Can Help

If you were involved in a car accident, taking quick and decisive action is important to protect your rights. The dedicated team at Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. can help with your legal matter and provide the best possible resolution to your case. Contact our knowledgeable attorney, Julio E. Portilla via online form or by phone to get started. (917) 909-6166

Related Posts
  • Who Is to Blame for Injuries on Another's Property? Read More
  • Accident Reconstruction & Personal Injury Claims Read More
  • Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit? Read More

Contact Us Today

We Fight to Protect Your Rights
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.