Child Support Lawyer in Manhattan
Legal Representation for Child Support in Manhattan, Queens & Brooklyn
The Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. has detailed knowledge of the New York child support guidelines and how the court uses them to ensure that children of divorce are cared for. A court will not finalize a divorce until the parents have established a plan of child support that adequately covers the living expenses of the child and maintains their standard of living.
New York child support payments are based on the principle that a child has the right to be supported by both parents. Which parent pays child support and which one receives it is determined by child custody arrangements. As a parent, you want your children to be minimally impacted by a divorce, allowing them to grow and follow their dreams. Child support is a major factor in ensuring your child’s well-being.
How Is Child Support Calculated in New York?
New York child support payments are based on the principle that a child has the right to be supported by both parents.
Child support obligations in New York are calculated by adding the income of both parents and multiplying it by a child support percentage:
- For one child, multiply by 17% of the combined parental income
- For two children, multiply by 25% of the combined parental income
- For three children, multiply by 29% of the combined parental income
- For four children, multiply by 31% of the combined parental income
- For five or more children, multiply by no less than 35% of the combined income
Whether you are expecting to pay child support or receive support as the primary custodial parent, our attorneys are here to guide you through New York's child support guidelines. We can assist with establishing support, modifying support, and pursuing child support enforcement for parents who are evading payments.
Trusted Legal Support for Your Child Support Case
At the Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C., our family law legal team advocates for your child’s needs to ensure their future is secure.
When you work with us, you’ll have access to:
- A free initial consultation (phone and video consultations available)
- Same-day, after-hours, and weekend appointments available by request
- Legal services in English, French, and Spanish
- An attorney with nearly two decades of experience
To contact our Manhattan child support attorney, dial (917) 909-6166 or submit an online contact form. A member of our team will be in touch shortly.
Full-Service New York Law Firm
Meet Our Dedicated Attorney Julio E. Portilla
"I will fight to protect your legal rights under the law."Attorney Profile
Read Our 5 Star Reviews
Stories from people we have helped.Read Here
View Our Firm Blog
See recent news on bankruptcy, family law, personal injury, and real estate litigation topics.Read More