Manhattan Alimony Lawyer
Establishing, Enforcing, and Modifying Spousal Support Orders in New York
Alimony in New York may be awarded to either spouse. If you wish to be eligible for alimony, you must request it in your complaint or when you submit your answer to a divorce petition. The Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. has extensive experience advising clients about legally mandated payments that are outgrowths of family law, such as:
- Alimony/spousal support
Who Qualifies for Alimony?
Either spouse in a divorce case can request alimony. Whether or not the spouse will receive alimony is to be determined by the court based on many factors, such as the financial situation of each party, duration of the marriage, the need for alimony, and more. Your divorce attorney can advocate on your behalf to protect your financial concerns.
Different Types of Alimony in New York
There are different types of spousal maintenance that can be awarded during a divorce case:
- Temporary support: This is paid by one spouse to the other while the divorce case is ongoing, and ends when the court issues a final divorce order. In some cases, temporary maintenance will end, but permanent maintenance may take its place.
- Rehabilitative maintenance: If the spouses have a significant difference in income, job skills, and earning ability, a judge may order rehabilitative maintenance so that one spouse has financial support after a divorce.
- Permanent maintenance: These are payments ordered by the court after a divorce is finalized, and will last a certain amount of time depending on many factors. Permanent maintenance is typically granted in long marriages or those with big discrepancies in income.
How Is Spousal Support Determined in New York?
The amount of spousal support is dependent upon several factors, including but not limited to:
- The length of the marriage
- The disparity in the parties’ incomes
- The income earning capacity of both parties
- The lifestyle each party was accustomed to during the marriage
- The health of each spouse
The court will consider several other factors as well when making a determination.
How Long Does Spousal Maintenance Last?
The length of time that spousal maintenance is required will primarily on how long the marriage lasted. Longer marriages may require a longer period of maintenance. If the spouse receiving payments remarries or passes away, that will also end spousal support payments.
We Advocate to Protect Your Financial Interests
To ensure your rights and best interests are protected throughout the process – whether you’re the payor or the receiver – contact our Manhattan alimony attorney for help. When you do, you’ll be paired with an attorney who:
- Has 15+ years of legal experience
- Offers same-day consultations, after-hours appointments, and weekend consultations by appointment
- Provides legal services in English, Spanish, and French
- Offers a free consultation (phone or video)
The majority of the firm's clients are referrals. This is a testament to their faith in Attorney Portilla's ability to provide the best legal counsel and advocacy.
When you hire Attorney Portilla you can count on transparent communication regarding your case and fast response times on all questions!
For your safety and convenience, The Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. offers phone and video consultations as well as same-day appointments.
The team at The Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. is multilingual and serves its clients in English and Spanish.
Attorney Portilla takes the time to listen, walk you through the process, and create a personalized strategy for your case.
Attorney Portilla is a proven litigator who has vast experience handling various cases types in a courtroom successfully.
Very Professional- Paul S.
Greatest Success Possible- Kat Sykes
Attentive, Knowledgeable, and Detail Orientated- Anahida
Excellent Lawyer- Iris
I Was Put at Ease- Happy Client