Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are one of the most catastrophic injuries that can occur as a result of an accident or incident. These injuries can have long-lasting effects on a person's life, including physical, cognitive, and emotional impairments. In this blog, we will discuss the causes of TBI and provide tips on how to prevent them.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries:
1. Falls - Falls are the leading cause of TBI, especially among older adults. Falls can occur due to slippery floors, uneven surfaces, or poor lighting.
2. Motor vehicle accidents - Car accidents are the second leading cause of TBI. These injuries can occur due to head-on collisions, rear-end accidents, or rollovers.
3. Sports injuries - Athletes who participate in contact sports such as football, hockey, or boxing are at a higher risk of TBI. These injuries can occur due to direct impact to the head or repeated blows to the head.
4. Violence - Physical assault, domestic violence, and child abuse can all result in TBI.
1. Wear a helmet - Helmets can protect your head while participating in sports or riding a bike or motorcycle.
2. Use proper safety equipment - When working at heights or with heavy machinery, use proper safety equipment such as harnesses, safety glasses, and hard hats.
3. Install handrails and grab bars - Installing handrails and grab bars in bathrooms and staircases can prevent falls.
4. Avoid alcohol and drugs - Alcohol and drugs can impair your judgment and coordination, increasing your risk of accidents.
5. Seek medical attention - If you experience a blow to the head, seek medical attention immediately. Even if you don't think you have a concussion or TBI, it's important to get checked out.
Seek Representation Today
Bottom line, traumatic brain injuries can have devastating effects on a person's life. By understanding the causes of TBI and taking preventive measures, you can reduce your risk of injury. If you or a loved one has suffered a TBI due to someone else's negligence, contact Law Office of Julio E. Portilla, P.C. for a free consultation. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you get the compensation you deserve.